Alaska Fishing License: What Permits Do I Need to Fish in Alaska?

You’re ready for your fishing trip, and you’re suddenly wondering “do I need a fishing license in Alaska?

When visiting Doc Warner’s Fishing Lodge, there are a few things you should understand about fishing licenses. Due to Alaska’s popularity as a fishing destination, the state puts necessary regulations on permits and licenses that pertain to both residents and non-residents

Fishing in Alaska is regulated by the Alaska Department of Fish & Game (ADF&G). All residents between the ages of 16 and 60 – as well as non-residents over the age of 16 – need a fishing license. If you plan on fishing for King Salmon, you will need to purchase a King Salmon stamp in addition to your license.

Alaska issues four types of fishing licenses: Sport, Personal Use, Subsistence, and Commercial. Only Alaskan residents may qualify for personal use or subsistence licenses. Additionally, each region of the state has its own restrictions. Doc Warner’s is located in the Southeast Region of Alaska and falls within the jurisdiction of the Juneau-Glacier Bay Management Area.

However, you do not need to worry about these regulations or buy a license prior to your visit. The staff at Doc Warner’s is trained to understand the fishing regulations and will assist you in obtaining the correct license. The price is included with your stay.  All fishermen over the age of 16 need to provide a driver’s license or military ID.


Please do not risk spoiling your trip by fishing without the proper license and stamp on your person at all times. Several Alaska agencies have enforcement power and guests of Doc Warner’s are checked on a regular basis. If you are caught fishing without the correct license, you will be fined immediately and charged between $100 and $150.


Below is a summary of the basic state, federal and regional requirements for Alaskan sport fishing. Due to the fact that catch limits, size restrictions, and bait or lure regulations are determined by species and body of water being fished, please refer to pp. 20-21 of the ADF&G website for further detail.

Non-Resident Sport Fishing Licensing  in the Juneau-Glacier Bay Management Area

Price and Type:

Fishing License

King Stamp

1 Day



3 Day



7 Day



14 Day






Resident Sport Fishing Licensing in the Juneau-Glacier Bay Management Area

Price and Type:

Annual Fishing License: $24.00                 Annual King Stamp: $10

Helpful Information:

  • Resident adults over 60 must obtain a free ADF&G Permanent Identification Card.
  • No one under 16 needs a license.
  • Both children under 16 and resident holders of the ADF&G ID card must obtain a free Harvest Record Card and record any sport fish caught subject to limit restrictions.
  • Children under 16 are bound by the same size and limit restrictions as adults.